PAS 91 was commissioned by the British Standards Institute and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BSI).
PAS 91 is a standardised prequalification questionnaire (PQQ) used by clients, buyers of potential contractors and suppliers as part of the Pre-Qualification process for construction projects/tenders. PAS 91 seeks to reduce and streamline the number of responses required from suppliers for each authority when submitting bids for contracts, in particular, small to medium-sized businesses.
All public sector buyers are required to pre-qualify construction contractors and suppliers. It is, therefore, imperative to create buying practices that are efficient and compliant.
Is PAS 91 a requirement of CDM (Construction Design and Management) Regulations 2015?
When considering CDM 2015, the guidance does not make the use of PAS 91 compulsory. As the SSIP (Safety Schemes in Procurement) core criteria for assessments are aligned to this government-backed construction pre-qualification document, it ensures that there is consistency within supply chain management.
Since the implementation of CDM 2015 and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015, PAS 91 has been amended to ensure that it is aligned with the new legislation. PAS 91:2013 +A1:2017 is the latest version and is also more closely aligned with the standard Selection Questionnaire and European Single Procurement Document (ESPD).
Why use PAS 91?
- Makes it easier for procurement professionals to identify suitably qualified construction contractors
- Reduces the amount of bidding and administration time
- Reduces duplication of responses and cost
- Suppliers can develop standard responses to questions which can be used each time any authority uses a PAS 91 questionnaire
- Increases supplier understanding of current procurement legislation
- Provides consistency and a common format for suppliers
- Improves best practice and alignment with HSE accredited schemes (SSIP)
What does a PAS 91 questionnaire comprise of?
PAS 91 is made up of three parts:
- Mandatory questions – covers commercial elements of the company, such as contact details, structure, health and safety, financial data. These questions are customised depending on what type of supplier you are, e.g. contractor, service provider, designer etc.
- Optional questions – These questions relate to specific company policies and procedures, such as Environmental Management, Quality Management, Diversity/Equal Opportunities.
- Project-specific questions – These questions are often longer-form and incorporate areas such as supplier experience, resources, staffing and flexibility.
Certain sections throughout the PAS 91 questionnaire allow for exemptions which will reduce the amount of time some suppliers spend on completing it, especially if they hold industry-specific certifications and accreditations such as SSIP (including CHAS, Constructionline etc.), ISO9001, ISO45001 and ISO14001 to name a few.
It is important to note that the format and order of the questionnaire will vary from buyer to buyer and that it is not a standalone document and will be requested alongside your tender submission as part of a wider process.
At BWL, our team of expert Bid Consultants are highly experienced at writing successful bid and tender submissions for clients in the construction sector. As a result, we can advise you on PAS 91 and ensure that your submission is the very best it can be.
If you would like to know more, contact us today by submitting your details here or call us on the number below and we will be able to advise you further.
The latest version of PAS 91 is available to download here.